From eyeshadows to lipsticks to mascara, there is a large scale of makeup items used by women. Makeup for most women is a major part of their everyday life; it enhances their beauty and helps them feel more confident.
When we talk about staying healthy, it isn’t just about what we eat or drink but also what we apply to our skin. How well do you know about the ingredients inside your makeup products? Some toxic ingredients might have an adverse effect on your health. They aren’t just harmful to the skin but have negative impacts internally too.
Some of the widely reported impacts of harmful makeup ingredients are hormonal imbalance, eczema, dermatitis as well as cancers. To avoid damaging your skin, steer clear of these ingredients in your makeup products;
- Parabens: Parabens are used to extend and preserve makeup products. It keeps them fresh and germ-free. Research shows that parabens are dangerous and causes harm to your sex hormone. It causes increased production of estrogens which decreases sperm counts in men, hormonal imbalance, and contributes to the development of breast cancer in women. It is best to avoid products containing this ingredient.
- Formaldehyde: It is known to be carcinogenic. Formaldehyde is also used as a preservative to prevent bacterial infection. It is majorly found in nail polish, hair straightener products, and false lash glue. Formaldehyde in low levels has been linked to cancer which makes it unlikely to find on the ingredients list. Some brands use other molecules that release formaldehyde, such as Bronopol and Quaternium-15.
- Toluene: Toluene is a petrochemical solvent found in crude oil and tolu tree. It is used as an antioxidant and stabiliser in makeup products like foundations and concealers. Frequent and long-term exposure could damage your immune system and may carry the risk of blood cancer and birth defects. The central nervous system can also be affected, leading to fatigue, drowsiness, and nausea.
- Lead: A natural mineral that is commonly present in cosmetics like lipsticks, foundations, and eyeliners. Even though there is a maximum lead content allowed in products, some brands go beyond the maximum, which becomes a problem. When high levels of lead are absorbed into the body, it causes poisoning symptoms like irritability and fatigue. We are exposed already to enough lead in our food, water as well as the air we breathe. Love wearing lipstick every single day? This is a reality check.
- Silicones: Silicones are semi-liquid substances derived from silica, found in foundations, primers, and lipstick. It has occlusive properties which worsen acne by acting as a barrier for acne-prone skin and trapping dead skin cells inside the pores. It also prevents moisture from getting into your skin which can affect your skin’s pH level causing dehydration on the skin.
Makeup is often brushed off as superficial and frivolous. The right products with healthy ingredients can help boost your confidence.
Need to speak to a doctor? Click HERE.